Monday, April 5, 2010

Taking a Time Out

On March 4th and 5th, I had the opportunity to attend "Time Out for Women" with my mom and some girlfriends in Orlando.  It was a great weekend...full of uplifting, motivating presentations.

Here are some highlights from Friday night:

  • The Lord knows what we need to hear, and if we plead for it, He will send His spirit to guide us.
  • What was on my premortal "things to do on earth" checklist?
  • Each day, try to imagine, "How would a 'holy woman' handle this?" and strive to be more holy each day.

  • As women, we all have an influence on others and others are constantly trying to influence us.  Who is influencing us...the world or the Lord?
  • Our life is not defined by circumstances, but by how we respond to those circumstances.  ( I loved that!)
After the Friday evening session, we all stopped for a treat before heading upstairs to our room...

Jennifer, Holly Heather, Mom (Sally)

Jennifer, Holly, Heather, me (Jennifer)


Saturday morning, we all had a delicious breakfast in a cute little diner in our hotel.  Holly and I got the hot chocolate which was delicious!!!  (As you can tell by our 'staches!)


Highlights from Saturday morning's session:

  • If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put a little responsibility on their shoulders.  (So true!)
  • We must prepare ourselves before we can teach and help others.
  • Am I establishing good patterns daily with my family?  (Prayer, meals, traditions, scripture study)

  • Sometimes challenges in our lives are there to prepare us for future trials.  They can give us hope and faith and help us to trust in the Lord.  This will, in turn, help to see us through larger trials in our lives.

  • Choose to be positive and happy!  Positive choices are like helium balloons--they lift us up.  Negative choices are like rocks in our backpacks...they weigh us down.
  • Our choice of attitude can either open doors or close doors for us.
  • Trials are given to us so we can learn what we couldn't learn in any other way.
  • Suffering shouldn't be an unwelcome thing...we can use it to draw closer to the Savior.
After the conference with our cute new bags!  :)

Such a wonderful, uplifting weekend spent with great friends.  Every woman needs a "time out" every once and a while, and I am so glad I got mine!  :)

3 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

I could really use that next year--just couldn't work it into the schedule this year. Sounded wonderful and I'm so happy you all had a great time.

Laine said...

You make a "stash" look so good. :)

Steve and Donna said...

cute bags and ladies :)