Saturday, December 6, 2008

Halloween Lessons

STILL catching up...

Here are my lovely girls on Halloween night. Travis had to do inventory that night so he wasn't with us. The girls decided against repeating the Oreo thing, and pulled outfits from the dress-up box instead. Shelby went to a party (her first "holiday" away from home) dressed as an adorable witch, and Abby and Emily went dressed as Olympic gymnasts complete with medals. We all had a great evening, and when all was said and done and I had a moment to reflect, I had a profound thought come to me...

My girls and I had a GREAT time this Halloween, and I didn't spend a fortune on costumes like I have every other year since their births. That was a huge lesson and realization for me! In the past, we went to places like The Disney Store and spent a fortune (literally) on adorable costumes. Don't get me wrong...that's still fine, but often times we couldn't really afford it. But I felt like I had to do it--that the girls' Halloween would be RUINED if they didn't have the best, cutest, and most expensive costumes. And I learned this year that that is not true! I felt liberated when I spent $6 to make our costumes, and even more liberated that night when the girls decided to ransack the dress-up box to find a costume to wear trick-or-treating. It was a good feeling, and one that I am hoping to carry forward with me.

Especially with the impending Christmas season.

Our "traditional" orange Halloween meal--everything is a shade of orange

(not incredibly nutritious, but better than an entire belly-full of candy!)


1 comments:

Laine said...

your girls are gorgeous. i love seeing pictures of them!