Thursday, July 3, 2008

Camp Life

So, girls camp was really good. It was also really HOT, but the other parts made up for it. It was great to spend time with all of the girls and get to know each of them better. I also enjoyed the time with my fellow leader, Stephanie. We had a good time together--lots of laughing!

We had the opportunity one night to lay down and look at the stars. We had a star chart, so it made finding things in the night sky much easier. Just laying there looking up into the night sky was incredible. It is one of those things that I definitely take for granted. To think that it is there night after night just amazes me. I want to take opportunities to enjoy things like that more often.

I also saw a slew of fireflies!!! I cannot even remember the last time I got to see them, but I felt just like a little child. I couldn't stop watching them, and even had a few that got pretty close to me at one point. It was so cool! That was the only bug that didn't "bother" me during the week.

We also had many great devotionals and classes during the week. Our theme for camp was, "Reflect the light of the Son" (meaning Jesus Christ), and there were so many great opportunities for our testimonies of the Savior to grow. I know that I felt the Spirit on many different occasions, and I'm sure the girls did as well.

I was happy to get home to my own bed, my nice clean shower, and my air conditioning, but I do miss the spirit that is at camp. Next year, Shelby will be old enough to go. My mom was with me for my first (and only) year at camp, and I would love to go and be with Shelby next year if she wants me to. I cannot believe that she will be 12 in just a few short months. Looking around at all of the 12-year-olds at camp this year, I think she'll have a great time next year and get to make lots of new friends!

Here are some pictures from our week at Indian Springs State Park:

Here are the Thomasville girls rehearsing their "introduction" skit
Performing the skit
Payton (center) and others modeling their "toilet paper" temple dresses
Stephanie and me (covering up our double chins and her lip-waxing mishap...don't ask)
Lauren, Payton, and Leah during one of our nightly sing-a-longs
Danielle and Savannah dancing and singing
Sarah and Abigail
P.S. Also, hurray for me for going on (and completing) the three mile hike through the woods of central Georgia!!! It was HARD, but I did it!!!!!

2 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

I think surviving Girls Camp in Georgia in June makes up for all the years you missed out during your youth!

Laine said...

THIS is the post I've been waiting for!!!!! Woooohoooo! It sounds like so much fun. And I CANNOT believe Shelby will be going to GIRLS CAMP next year!